Born November 20, 1979 in Pertuis, France
Cancer Research Center of Marseille (CRCM)
27 Bd Lei Roure, 13009, Marseille, France
Epithelial Stem Cells and Cancer Lab
Office: +33 4 91 22 35 09
Cell: +33 6 50 02 64 50
- Since 2018 : Head of the Epithelial Stem Cells and Cancer Lab, CRCM, France
- 2017 : Accreditation to lead Research (French HDR), Aix-Marseille University, France
- 2013-2018 : Senior Scientist (CR1) with tenure, INSERM, France Breast stem cell group leader, CRCM, France
- 2009-2013 : Junior Scientist (CR2) with tenure, INSERM, FranceMolecular Oncology Lab (Head: Dr Daniel Birnbaum), CRCM, France
- 2006-2009 : Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Michigan, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, USA.
Prof. Max S Wicha (Advisor), Department of Internal Medecine
- 2002-2005 : PhD in Oncology, Aix-Marseille University, France
Dr Daniel Birnbaum (PhD supervisor), INSERM Unit (U519), Marseille, France
- 2000-2002 : MSc, Biochemistry, Aix-Marseille University, France
- 1997-2000 : BSc, Biochemistry, Aix-Marseille University, France
- 75 research articles, 10 review articles, 5 commentaries, 3 book chapters, 3 patents
- > 10000 citations
- H-index: 44
>30 Invited lectures
International Symposium on minimal and residual cancer (Hambourg, Germany, 2007; Paris, France, 2013), Milan Breast cancer conference (Milan, Italy, 2007), AACR annual meeting (San Diego, USA, 2008), Breast Cancer symposium (Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2008), JCA-AACR joint conference (Kobe, Japan, 2008), MBC (Torino, Italy, 2010), IGR (Paris, France, 2010), CLINAM conf. (Basel, Switzerland, 2011), IHES (Orsay, France, 2013), Institut Curie (Paris, France, 2013, 2017), CRCL (Lyon, France, 2014), 5th International bCSC symposium (Suzhou, China, 2015), SUNRiSE meeting (Marseille, France, 2015), IRCM (Montpellier, France, 2017), VCCC (Melbourne, Australia, 2017), GIRC (Grenoble, France, 2017), 7th bCSC symposium (Shanghai, China, 2018), Georgia Cancer Center (Augusta, USA, 2019), 5th Molecular Oncology Meeting (Moscow, Russia, 2019)
- 2008 : AACR-Bristol-: Myers Squibb Onc. Award, AACR annual meeting, San Diego, USA
- 2011 : Pink Ribbon Award, Best Young Researcher, Paris, France
- 2011 Medical Research Trophy from University of Méditerranée, Marseille, France
- 2016 : French National League against cancer Prize (Prix Dr J. Almaric)
Scientific Advisory board of
- Carcidiag Biotech (Since 2018)
- Cancerople PACA (Since 2017)
- Co-founder and President of the SUNRiSE network (http://www.sunrise-network.fr/)
Reviewer and evaluation committees
HCERES, ANR, INCA (PL-BIO), Aviesan, Ligue national contre le cancer, Canceropoles, GEFLUC, Breast Cancer campaign (UK), Fondazione CRIPLO (Italy), Maratone de Saude (Portugal),
Article peer Reviewer for
Nature Communication, EMBO report, Cancer Research, EMBO Molecular Medicine, Stem Cell reports, Stem Cells, PLoS Biology, Breast Cancer Research, International Journal of Breast Cancer, Journal of Molecular Biology, Molecular Cancer Therapy
Supervision and teaching
- 14 master students, 9 PhD students
- Master courses on cancer stem cells (Aix-Marseille University, Lyon University)
- 3rd International course on Breast Cancer (Paris, 2017, 2019)
- ReTuBi Summer School (Lisbon, 2017)
- Maghreb Senology courses (Marocco, since 2012)
- SORISA days (Tunisia, since 2015)
- SFC courses (Paris, 2017)
- SUNRiSE courses (Montpellier, 2018; Lyon, 2019)
Track record of research funding
INCA PRTK (co-applicant 2011), INCA PLBIO (2012, 2016, 2018), SIRIC Marseille (2014), GEFLUC (2015, 2020), Canceropole PACA (2014), ARC (2017, 2020), AMiDEX (2018), Servier phamaceuticals (2011,2012), Genosciences Pharma (2015), Xenetech (2012, 2017), Carcidiag biotech. (2019)
- Targeting CSC through CXCR1 blockade, US PA 61/113,458
- ALDH1 – a marker of normal and cancer stem cells, US PA 10181
- Biomarkers for the identification of chemosensitivities, US20160040251A1
- Arfaoui et al., A genome-wide RNAi screen reveals essential therapeutic targets of breast cancer stem cells. EMBO Mol Med. 2019
- A-P Morel, et al. A stemness-related ZEB1-MSRB3 axis governs cellular pliancy and breast cancer genome stability. Nat Med. 2017 May;23(5):568-578.
- R El Helou, et al. miR-600 acts as a bimodal switcher that regulates breast cancer stem cell fate through WNT signaling. Cell Reports. 2017
- El Helou R, et al. Brief reports: A distinct DNA methylation signature defines breast cancer stem cells and predicts cancer outcome. Stem Cells. 2014 Nov;32(11):3031-6.
- Charafe-Jauffret E, et al. ALDH1-positive cancer stem cells predict engraftment of primary breast tumors and are governed by a common stem cell program. Cancer Res. 2013 Dec 15;73(24):7290- 300.
- Salvador MA, et al. The histone deacetylase inhibitor abexinostat induces cancer stem cells differentiation in breast cancer with low Xist expression. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Dec 1;19(23):6520- 31.
- Ginestier C, et al. CXCR1 blockade selectively targets human breast cancer stem cells in vitro and in xenografts. J Clin Invest. 2010 Jan 4. pii: 39397. doi: 10.1172/JCI39397
- Charafe-Jauffret E*, Ginestier C*, et al. Breast cancer cell lines contain functional cancer stem cells with metastatic capacity and a distinct molecular signature. Cancer Res. 2009 Feb 15;69(4):1302-13. Epub 2009 Feb 3.
- Liu S*, Ginestier C*, et al. BRCA1 Regulates Human Mammary Stem/Progenitor Cell Fate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Feb 105:1680-1685.
- Ginestier C, et al. ALDH1 is a marker of normal and breast cancer stem cells and a predictor of poor clinical outcome. Cell Stem Cell. 2007 Nov:1:555-567.